City of Saint John
Do you like working with kids? Want part-time work that makes a real difference?
Join us as a crosswalk guard!
You are someone who likes to help people. You are pleasant, responsible, and flexible. You like being outdoors. Maybe you are a recent retiree, or a university or college student with classes mostly in the middle of the day . You’d like a few hours’ work a week. You could make an ideal crosswalk guard!
Here’s the job:
- You will be responsible to help school-aged children safely across roads and intersections near their school.
- Hours vary from school to school, but a typical split shift for you could be 7:30-8:30 a.m. plus 3:00-3:45 p.m. (or 2:15-3:45 p.m., for schools with younger children who finish earlier).
- You work only on days when school is in, which means you get summers off! Also, March break, storm days, statutory holidays, etc.
- You will be part of a team but work mostly independently.
- You will be courteous at all times, not only to the children but to members of the public.
- The key task is ensuring a safe environment. Safety first, always. You leave only after the last child has crossed.
Here’s what we need from you:
- You are free to work split shifts.
- You understand how the City regulates traffic in school zones.
- You will successfully complete a security clearance and a vulnerable sector check.
That’s it! We don’t require a specific educational level. We are looking for the right people – people who care about children, work well with them, and will keep them safe. And whose life would be enriched by a few hours’ paid and purposeful work a day, keeping young Saint Johners safe on their way to and from school.
If this is you, click on “I am interested.” You will be taken to a page where you can create a profile if you haven’t applied to the City before. If you already have a profile you can continue to the application by signing in.
This posting will remain open until the positions have been filled.
Please note: It is a condition of employment with the City of Saint John to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a valid certificate of medical exemption from vaccination. Those who provide a valid certificate of medical exemption are required to comply with the City’s Vaccine and Test Policy. Failure to comply with this condition of employment is cause for termination.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live and which we serve. We encourage and support applications from Indigenous, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Candidates who belong to such groups, who are qualified, will be given preference at the time of selection.
We accept applications through our online system only. If you need help with your application, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 506-658-2866.
- Experience 0 - 2 Years
- Skills Communication, Customer Service, Diligence